Obstetrics is the surgical specialty dealing with the care of women and their children during pregnancy, childbirth and postnatal.
- The physiotherapist aims to prevent or alleviate the physical and emotional stresses of pregnancy and labor.
- They prepare woman and her companion for labor by teaching them relaxation, breathing awareness and positioning.
- The physiotherapist may teach the woman how Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS) may be used to relieve pain during the birth.
Post Natal Care:
- The physiotherapist is able to help the mother in her recovery by teaching exercises (pelvic floor muscles), back care and general health education, including coping with the stresses of parenthood.
- The physiotherapist, combined with sensitivity and understanding, is invaluable to patients whether they are undergoing gynecological surgery or suffering incontinence or pelvic disorders.
- They can also do psychosexual counseling which helps them with sexual problems.